Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June 26th, 2007

December 2007
Six years ago, today, Luke and I started dating, officially. We first met in a neighborhood coffee shop that was a start-off point for a college group I had been attending. It was probably my second time going to this college group and I didn't know many people there. I felt a bit out of place and a little lost. The two previous years had been quite eventful for me. A year in Central Asia and then a semester at Trinity Western University in Langley, BC. Now I was back home, living with my parents, attending Mt. Hood Community College, and working three part-time jobs.

The college group was a good place for me to meet some new people and attend a new church. I remember seeing Luke, and his friend Chad, come through the door at Cafe Delirium, mid-January 2007,  and there was something about Luke that caught my attention. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I knew I wanted to know more about this guy. The funny thing is, though, I kept telling myself not to be focused on guys for a while. Just enjoy life as it was and not get caught up in this 'does he like me?' fog.

As spring started, Luke and I hung out more and more. Starting out with friends from college group, then gradually just the two of us. I remember after a while thinking that this friendship was not going anywhere, that I was in another friendship that was just that, friends. I had made the mistake, multiple times, of thinking there was something more, when there wasn't. So I was very cautious about getting hurt again. I told myself I needed to stop hanging out with Luke, but then I got a phone call after work one day.

He called and asked if I wanted to go out to a movie, I told him I needed to call him back cause I was still at work. (I had just got off my shift as a swim instructor and needed to clean up) Immediately after I hung up with him, I called my friend Katelyn and asked, "What am I supposed to do??" She in turn said, "Get off the phone with me, call him, and say YES!!" :) Luke and I did go out that night, and had a blast.

A couple weeks later, walking through the park, Luke asked me to be his girlfriend. I tried not to be too excited, or giddy, so I simply answered, "I think I could do that." I can't believe how fast six years goes by. I think we've changed a lot since first getting to know each other and it's good to look back  and see how far we've come.
2008


No comments:

Post a Comment