Friday, October 8, 2010

An Idea...

So, many of you know that I have been an athlete and coach for a long time and have a passion for youth.

For those of you who don't know, I swam on Montavilla Summer Swim League for 6 years, swam a year on Madison High School's swim team, and also competed on Madison's track and field team.

Coaching began with swim team around the age of 19, at Montavilla pool. I was never super into swim team, but enjoyed coaching so much! This passion transitioned over to Madison in an amazing way. I volunteered as an assistant swim coach for just over one season, but had to quit because of college responsibilities.

However, a couple years after that experience, my former track coach, Jon McNulty, contacted me and asked me to coach pole vault and hurdles. I had gone down to the track occasionally to help out and was considering what to do next. I did have more experience with swimming, but I enjoyed the challenge of track when I was on the team and it was very beneficial in developing my character and all the other changes that occur in high school.

I have now coached three track seasons and have been blessed to be a part of the kids lives. It's an amazing thing to see the kids push themselves further, improve, and grow as individuals. I'm happy to have been a part of these kids' lives.

Anyway, all this background information to say that, today, for some reason, I woke up thinking about the kids, the team, and the facilities that they use. This last season was the last year for Madison to host track meets. The track is so horrible. It's been needing repairs and a new surface for years, but the district doesn't have it in the funds to do anything.

I really want to see if there is a way I can help with one of the most influential places in my high school and young adult years.

I'm not sure where to begin. I asked the Athletic Director at MHS if there were any grants we could apply for (my mom said she would be willing to help in that area), but he basically laughed at me and said there was nothing I could do.

So, I think the first step is to talk to Jon again and see if there has been any change since Spring and then start an alumni association or something where people can donate and see what is happening in the track program. Or, put together an event where people can come by and donate, whether it be money or time, to help spruce up the place and potentially open the track again to district meets.

Any other ideas?

2 comments:

  1. There is a Madison athletic alumi association working closely with baseball, and I think their desire is to come together for other athletic needs. They might be a good resource to help know how to research for where to start, costs, etc. Michael Keller (baseball head coach) is the one who sends emails from time to time as to fundraisers, etc for the athletic department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ideas to offer. But I will be praying for you in this new quest.

    ReplyDelete